The MET Office has issued warnings across the UK today, with yellow weather alerts for thunderstorms in place across Britain. Here’s the latest as up to two inches of rain could fall in just three hours.
The Met Office has issued a swathe of yellow weather warnings for the UK, with heavy showers and thunderstorms to hit this afternoon. The forecaster warns while not all places will be affected by these showers and thunderstorms, where they do occur torrential downpours are possible.
The warning comes into effect at 1pm today, lasting until 9pm tonight, and is for North East England, East Midlands, North West England, Wales, West Midlands, Yorkshire and Humber and Northern Ireland.
Around 0.6 to one inch (15 to 25mm) of rain may fall in an hour in some places whilst a few spots could see 1.1 to 1.5 inches (30 to 40mm) rain in two or three hours.
The Met Office warns to expect
- Some flooding of a few homes and businesses likely, leading to some damage to buildings or structures
- Probably some damage to a few buildings and structures from lightning strikes
- There is a good chance driving conditions will be affected by spray, standing water and/or hail, leading to longer journey times by car and bus
- Delays to train services are possible
- Some short term loss of power and other services is likely